ECGCC Club History
The Eau Claire Golf and Country Club was founded in 1899 by Messrs. S.G. Moon, C.W. Stockwoood, and C.A. Chamberlain. These early golf enthusiasts incorporated the club on June 15, 1901; their objective and purpose of said corporation was as follows, “to conduct, pursue, promote, and encourage outdoor sports and athletic games, particularly the game of golf.”
The earliest known Club Championship took place in 1903 with Mr. T.J. Wilcox as the champion. Records indicate that he went on to win six out of the first nine men’s Club Championships. It is also interesting to note that the first Women’s Club Championship was contested in 1919, with Mrs. S.P. Woodard as the winner.
The original location of their nine-hole course was situated between (present-day) Chauncy Street and Margaret Street (west to east) and Emery Street and the Eau Claire River (south to north). Approximately twenty years later, plans for a new 18 hole course were laid out by Tom Vardon (brother of the immortal Harry Vardon) who assisted well-known golf and landscape architect, Charles H. Ramsdell of Minneapolis, MN. The new course was, in fact, constructed (on its present-day location, about ¼ mile east of the original nine) during 1928-1929 at the cost of $22,360.00. One other interesting expense incurred by The Club was the fee to Mr. Vardon (for his three visits to help in the layout and design process) for the princely sum of $115.
In 1962, golf course architect Mr. Paul Coates was retained by the Club to draw up plans to possibly re-route a portion of the front nine. The plans were approved, and construction began in 1966. Then Greens Chairman, Mr. Ian Mackenzie worked closely with the Wadsworth Construction Company during the construction process, and holes 10, 11, and 18 took on the look that we have today.
In November 2003, a new clubhouse facility and surrounding grounds were opened, complete with new state-of-the-art golf practice areas, a swimming facility with children's pool, and three lighted tennis courts, demonstrating a renewed commitment by the members of the Club to preserve and strengthen ECGCC. The Clubhouse has a unique and beautiful design that accommodates member dining as well as party rooms for meetings or special events. The lower-level bar was named "The Old 5th" as a tribute to the what was once the Par 3 5th hole. To accomplish the vision and plans of relocating the Clubhouse, golf architects Garrett Gill, John Schmenk and Linksland Construction Co. designed the present-day 12th hole. In addition, the 5th hole was modified, and the irrigation pond was expanded.
In the Fall of 2021, the Club contracted Kevin Norby of Norby Golf Course Design and Duininck Construction to complete a bunker and tee renovation. This extensive project was designed to reflect the heritage and original course design. The modernized Golden Era renovation captures both the look and challenge of the unaltered terrain while creating a variety of shot-making opportunities.
With the spectacular views overlooking the Chippewa Valley, ECGCC continues to be one of the premier private clubs in Western Wisconsin. The Eau Claire Golf & Country Club is the only private club in the community.